Today it’s Star Wars Day and the world is celebrating one of the most famous movie franchises of all time. The Star Wars movies have spanned decades and is still as fresh and relevant today, as it was when the first movie was released in 1977. A story of good versus evil, rebellion, long lost family, friendly robots, walking carpets and of course, the force (an energy field created by all living things).
So what does it all mean? Does the Galatic Empire represent today’s global corporate companies, crushing the High Street and local businesses as they colonise every country? We’re not friends with George Lucas and therefore don’t have the answers, so instead we’ve put together a list of 5 Quotes from Star Wars that can help all Small Business Owners, new and old.
1. “Never tell me the odds!”Han Solo to C3PO in response to being informed of the odds of successfully navigating through an asteroid field, Episode V: Empire Strikes Back.
Starting your own business, is a big risk. Managing your own income is not easy. If all entrepreneurs were told of the true odds against them succeeding, then they might not start a business in the first place. So we agree with Han, never listen to the odds, just look forward and take that risk to run your own business and manage your own destiny. (As long as you’ve got a fab idea, the passion and determination to make it work!)
2. “You must unlearn what you have learned.”Yoda tells Luke whilst training to learn the ways of the force in the Dagobah system, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
When you’ve been an employee, it can be difficult going through the transition to become your own boss and that of others. Unlearning what you have learned is a useful concept. Free yourself of constraints and learned behaviours. Think creatively and grow your business organically.
3. “Patience you must have, my young Padawan.”Yoda to Luke during his Jedi training, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
Building a business that is sustainable, that will continue to pay you an income and have growth for years to come, takes time. It won’t happen overnight. Most highly successful entrepreneurs didn’t reach their goals in a matter of months, quite often their back story reveals years of hard work, commitment and patience. Being patient and waiting for your hard work to pay off, will stand you in good stead in the future.
4. “Search your feelings…”Darth Vadar to Luke Skywalker on revealing that he is in fact his Father, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
Now we’re not suggesting you should find your long lost evil/slightly mislead Father, instead we are suggesting you ‘search your feelings’. Making decisions in business is never easy, with added financial pressures it can be difficult to think logically. Using your gut instinct, may seem illogical, but if you feel right or wrong about something, you’re probably right. We’d also recommend using your network of peers, friends, family and robots, but in the first instance, feelings never fail.
5. “Great, kid. Don’t get cocky!”Han Solo to Luke Skywalker after Luke shoots down an Imperial TIE fighter, Episode IV: A New Hope.
When your business is successful, it should inspire you to take heed, move forward and continue to work hard. Han Solo is right, celebrate you achievements but don’t get cocky. Don’t take your achievements for granted, running your own business requires continued focus, so keep aiming and keep firing!
Written by Rebecca Hunt, Consultant, RH Small Business Support